What's next for the PBS Competence Framework Project?
So the competencies have been defined and are available here. Defining the competencies (see the first blog) was an important and necessary first step. Disseminating and putting them into practice requires some additional pieces of work.
We are pleased to advise therefore that Phase 2 of the Competence Framework Project is underway thanks to generous funding from the Royal Mencap Society. Phase 2 aims to produce a set of resources that map onto the PBS Competence Framework, tailored for different target groups to facilitate the implementation of the competencies for the delivery of best practice.
It is anticipated that these will include:
• Guidance for commissioners that enables them to commission
high quality, community-based PBS support services (both at an individual and service level).
• Guidance for parents and carers about what PBS is, what to ask for to support their son/daughter whose behaviour challenges, and what competencies they may need to develop themselves to be a part of their PBS support network.
• Guidance for service providers about how to design/organise and deliver high quality PBS services.
• Guidance for people with learning disabilities about what PBS is, and what to expect from a good quality PBS service.
• Guidance for direct support workers which translates the PBS competencies into a more accessible format.
Who will be part of this project?
Phase 2 is being managed on behalf of the PBS Coalition by Louise Denne (Project Director) and Alison Branch (Project Co-ordinator). Louise is a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst and project managed the development of the PBS Competence Framework. Alison is a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst and Occupational Therapist working in the North East of England in a NHS community service for people with learning disabilities and challenging behaviour.
As with the development of the PBS Competence Framework, this will be a collaborative piece of work involving the wider PBS community and stakeholder groups. A series of working groups are currently being set up for each of the above work streams. If you have some specific expertise in any of the above areas and would like to help with this part of the project, please get in touch.
Alison and Louise will be providing regular updates on this blog site and through Twitter and any materials produced will eventually be published here for free.
If you have any questions about the Competence Framework or this next stage of the project please contact us at email@example.com